Saturday, February 2, 2008

VOIVID DVD REVIEW

VOIVOD – DVOD-1 (MUSIC VIDEO DISTRIBUTORS)

Well it seems to be the norm for pretty much every band these days to put out DVDs. Honestly, I'm all for it if there's a wealth of material to put out. A band only a few years old playing at a live outdoor festival concert is not exactly what I have in mind. I'm talking music videos (for better or worse), interviews/retrospectives, documentary/production footage, and killer inserts are all musts. A half-assed band would logically put out a half-assed DVD, right? In the case of Voivod, a band with a vast and now tragic history, their first DVD proves that they aren't fucking around. The DVD cuts off circa 1991, which is as good a blessing as I could hope for. It broke my heart to see them on the "Negatron" tour in 1995 with only 12 people at the show, but didn't surprise me one bit, as that was hardly a high moment for the band. And I'm not shy to express my opinions about Metallica, so I could care less about their recent inclusion of Jason Newsted, regardless of HIS opinions about the greatest of all traitors. Seeing the old videos brings back some fond memories of a Headbanger's Ball that time forgot, and having the privilege to hear the old demos (unfortunately enabled only while viewing the DVD, but I do understand that there's a deluxe reissue of "War and Pain" on CD now that features this) is a joy that cannot be put into mere words. There's also just enough behind the scenes footage of video shoots to keep die-hard fans ecstatic, and last but not least you also can see plenty killer early artwork sketches, probably done in their notebooks during classes. While I'm not in any position to plug any online DVD retailers in particular, the ever-resourceful www.dvdpricesearch.com will find you a brand new copy for under $10 at certain sites. I would definitely give this greater priority over Cradle of Filth DVD #9,999 if I were you.

FA WOULD LIKE TO REPSECTFULLY DEDICATE THIS REVIEW TO THE MEMORY OF DENIS "PIGGY" D'AMOUR.

(FA)

www.voivod.com (band site), www.voivod.net (official fan site), www.mvdb2b.com

No comments: