Wednesday, May 13, 2009

TOMBS INTERVIEW

Tombs

By Mike SOS

Mike Hill, guitarist/vocalist from NYC's Tombs was gracious enough to give some insight on the trio's latest endeavor from Relapse Records WINTERHOURS, in addition to info on his vast musical projects via email.

How did you come up with the name of the band?

MH: The name was taken from the infamous New York incarceration facility

How would you describe your music?

MH: Metal.

What are you currently listening to musically?

MH: Death in June, Leviathan, Swans, Neurosis

What sets Tombs apart from other bands?

MH: We aren't afraid to play less.

How does a Tombs song get written?

MH: I sit at home with my guitar and work on some riffs. At practice we arrange the songs, then I go home and work on lyrics.

What's up with your label and your recording studio and has the full-time status of Tombs taken away from other endeavors?

MH: The label is still going strong. The second entry of my split 12” series is coming out in a few months. It's the Dead in the Woods / Diet Pills split, two outstanding UK bands. I also just repressed the TOMBS / PLANKS split 12-in. My "studio" is little more than the rehearsal space we share with How We Lost the War. I've trained myself to subsist on 4-5 hours a sleep per night so I can get it all over the fence.

Do you prefer the studio or the stage and why?

MH: They're both satisfying but I prefer the stage. Playing live is a more cathartic experience; the studio creates a lot of stress and feels more like "work". Playing live is just rolling up in the van, rocking out and then it's on to the next thing.

What would you like Tombs to accomplish this year?

MH: I'd like the do 2 full US tours, hit Canada and do another more extensive European tour. I'd also like to get new material written.

Why should we come see Tombs?

MH: Because we don't care if people like us or not. Also, none of us have "sensitive beards" or mustaches.

What bands do you get compared to that you agree with? Disagree with?

MH: Mastodon and High on Fire and I don't agree...though both are excellent, we're coming from a less rock 'n' roll vibe.

No comments: